Monday, June 25, 2007

Echoes

The third sci-fi book I have planned is the least developed so far.

After writing the last short story that would eventually form Lifehack, I wrote another short story that relied on the events in Lifehack, but was a very different story arc. Aside from a cameo by Alisia and Regan from Lifehack, only one of Lifehack's characters was really a part of Echoes.

(Tentative title for the book, by the way.. 'Echoes' unto itself is pretty generic sounding...)

---

The main protagonist was made up fresh for Echoes, but for the book, after some reflection, I realized that a minor character from Lifehack would be perfectly suited to fill the role, and it would make a lot of sense.

Also, the protagonist in the Echoes short story happened to be named "Caitlin", a name which my newborn daughter has since claimed for herself.

Sheesh, not even a month old, and she's already plagiarizing me.

By utter coincidence, echoes' protagonist's role as a daughter is highly significant to the main story. I hope my relationship with my daughter goes smoother.

---

Something else being thrown out of the short story for the book is Soledad. Before Soledad O'Brian was a huge name, I heard it, and thought it was cool for a character. I drew some stuff up on my Soledad, and jammed her into the story. She didn't fit so well.

Hey, have a pic of my Soledad:Hawt? Sure. Make any sense in the story? Not a lot. The ideas behind the character might get adapted to a new character, but the end result will not resemble Soledad much.

And I may as well mention that Echoes will break the 2/2-book streak of the protagonist being a lesbian. The protagonist (notice how I'm not dropping the name? I have the name, but I'm not telling, for sake of a minor Lifehack spoiler)

-- anyway, her sexuality won't be an issue, if she even has a sexuality. In the short story I left her and Soledad as close friends, allowing people to think what they want about the future of the relationship. I might do the same thing between protagonist and Soledad-replacement, but with a much lighter touch.

---

Anyway, that's about all I'm ready to say about Echoes at this point.. I don't know how many spoilers I want to give away. I'll say this though... no romance, much more flashy sci-fi. Kind of the opposite direction I took with Watching Yute, which is high drama, low flash.

Next entry I'll be dipping into the non-fiction books I have on the go.. which will it be...

The children's book about my dog?

Or the fairly autobiographical one that deals largely with my injury/disability with 2 scoops of humor?

Flip a coin...

No comments: